3 Days of Doctor

Dear Grace,

A few weeks ago, you had an ear infection. At your follow-up appointment at the end of December, much to our relief everything looked fine. However, you never stopped coughing or having a runny nose. This past weekend, you began running a fever. Your dad had to hold me back from running you straight to the emergency room. So, Monday we took you to the doctor as soon as we could get you worked in.

We thought it was just another cold or something, but the doctor told us you was showing signs of pneumonia (insert my terrified thoughts of panic here). On top of this, you had lost a few ounces since your last visit (which of course, is a big deal to a baby). So, the doctor gave you an antibiotic shot (which you hated) and ordered you to come back the next day.

Four hours later, when the shot had completely worked in your system, your fever broke. On Tuesday morning, you woke up with clear nostrils for the first time in weeks. I took you back for your follow-up. Fever was still gone and according to the doctor your nose & throat looked good. But, your ears looked "Yucky". I'm sure that the doctor said "Yucky" to lessen my anxiety as your mother. But, I saw the face that she made when she saw your ears. She ordered the antibiotic shot again with another follow up visit for the next day.

This time, you saw the needle coming and began squirming as soon as it came into your line of vision. It took every ounce of strength inside of me (plus knowing that it was ultimately for your good) to let them give you that shot without tackling them to the ground and saving you from that horrific look of panic on your face. This time, you didn't stop screaming as soon as I picked you up. You screamed until you were dressed, walking out the door and had the miraculous Puffs in your mouth.

You had such a good day for the rest of the day. You felt better (with the exception of the accident that caused the humongous bruise that is now on your forehead - which is a different story). You laughed and played and were back to your normal little self.

Yesterday, Daddy took you to the follow up because you were feeling well enough that I went on to work. Your ears looked better this time, but there was still enough infection that they gave you the shot again. This time, you screamed as soon as you saw the needle. Daddy was surprised that you realized what was going on enough to be afraid. Silly Daddy. He didn't realize just how much you have learned about cause & effect lately!

The good news that you don't have to go back until your one-year check up. I cannot believe that time is so close now. I have no idea what happened to this year. Your birthday right around the corner.

I hope you feel better completely soon sweetheart.

Love Forever,


Lindsey said...

Ah I hope she is feeling much better and she doesn't have to sit through any more shots!
I took my daughter to get a flu shot a few months ago and she actually knocked it out of the nurses hand while it was in her thigh! It was horrible and I am sure it made the prick feel even worse then if she would have let her finish.

Grammy Blick said...

How quickly they do learn! It's a greater wonder how quickly they heal with the right medicine. I, too, wish there were another way besides shots -- but I have gotten to the point where I allow it and don't scream (much.)

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

Poor baby. I hate shots even now so I guess the dislike never goes away completely. At least you know that it's working because she is getting better.

Maybe she will be the one to invent painless shots when she gets older.

Unknown Mami said...

Ouch! Too many shots. Poor thing.

Dondi said...

I left something for you over at my blog! :) Happy Wednesday


Melissa B. said...

Oh, poor little girl! Hope all is well and that she's on the track toward feeling better. SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did!

I Need a Sugar Daddy...

Young Wife said...

Hope she's feeling better and you all are able to stay out of the doctor's office. Stopping by from SITS.