10.15.2008

Not Going to Take It

Today I went to an unnamed chain store to buy a printer. We decided to get one of the all-in-one machines so that we can print, fax, scan and copy to our hearts' content.

I knew the model I wanted, so all I had to do was go in the store, find it, purchase it and put it in the car. Simple, right?

Nothing that I do is simple.

I have a practice not to give out my phone number whenever possible. Almost-identity-theft makes you paranoid like that. So, when the cashier asked for it, I simply told her that I do not give it out. Now, I was completely aware that they have it on file. I have one of their super-special customer cards that is tied to...my phone number. So, there was no reason for me to announce it to the line behind me. If she had to have it, she could just scan my card.

This baffled the poor girl. She turned to her manager who happened to be standing behind her talking on a cell phone. Taking a personal call at work. Gasp! This manager did not want to be interrupted and became increasingly rude. At one point she said something to the effect of "well, if she (meaning me) won't co-operate". When I finally pointed out that they had my card, which was all they needed anyway, we completed our transaction.

Normally, I let rudeness pass. Maybe I should not, but I understand that we all have a bad day every once in a while. But for some reason, I just could not forget about this incident.

So I wrote to the store's customer support. I let them know all about my displeasure. And it felt good.

No comments: