9.02.2008

Conversations with Meltdown

My two-year-old niece, Meltdown, looks into my eyes with fierce determination. She moves her face closer to mine, and our noses are almost touching.

"Flob smar fop lupe good" she says very seriously.

This is just an estimate. I do not think that there is an adequate literal adaptation for the words that actually came out of her mouth.

"What, honey?" I say.

She repeats herself again. And again, a very serious expression covers her face.

I have no idea what she said, but I did not have the heart to ask her to repeat herself yet again. Normally, I do pretty well to translate her words, but this time I am clueless.

So I do the only thing I can. I grin at her. A really, big grin.

She grins back at me, her whole face lighting up.

We stare at each other that way for a moment, and then both collapse in giggles. I may not know what she said exactly, but I got the message. She was telling me a joke. And it was a good one.

No comments: