8.30.2008

Here's the Family "Picture" and Look Who Is Not Smiling

I'll start out by saying that I love my mother-in-law. I do. She is one of those people that would do anything for you. But, she is a little bit like Everybody Loves Raymond's mother. She has her own idea about how something should be done. Anything less is completely unacceptable. She can drive you absolutely crazy.

This weekend, we are at the beach. J's extended family always gathers there on Labor Day weekend. They have done this for many more years than I can count.

This year, we were required to buy a white t-shirt. The immediately family had to turn in our shirts early. She created a decal with "B Family Reunion" and ironed it on all our shirts. We were required to wear the shirts today.

I think the shirts are nice souvenirs. But, for some strange reason, I do not like having on the same shirt as 35 other people walking into IHOPs.

Furthermore, I bought my shirt before I became pregnant. It's not quite as flattering as it used to be.

But, I am glutton for punishment trooper, so I wore it away. Belly poking out and all.

Later on this evening, I had been out to the water several times and my bathing suit got the shirt wet. So, at the end of the day, I had put on a different shirt. Other people had too, but I actually had a valid reason other than pure embarrassment.

My sister-in-law & I decided to escape for a little while to go to a store down the road for some supplies. While we were there, I got a desperate phone call. "Where are you?" J asked. "Mom wants a picture of everyone in their shirts."

30 minutes later, we were back. And the family group picture was over. They couldn't wait. Somehow this was my fault. I felt like a little kid being chastised for playing outside when I should be doing homework. On my vacation weekend.

It just went from bad to worse. I was forced to go upstairs, put on my wet shirt, come back down and have my picture taken by myself so I could be "photoshopped" in later. And guess who will have to do the photoshopping? That's right. Me.

J was no help whatsoever. In fact, he was her enabler. I had enough.

I quietly let him know about my dissatisfaction when I knew she was listening. I told him I didn't appreciate being ordered around on my vacation. I told him that I had worn the shirt all day, and now he was being pushy about it - and I didn't appreciate that either.

So, guess who will not be smiling in the picture? And guess who will have an extra limb or purple dots on their face? After all, I know a thing or two about photo manipulation in Photoshop :-)

No comments: