Another night, another sleep opportunity missed. I'm struggling these days with sleeping.
I have gained just enough that it's uncomfortable to sleep on my stomach, as I have for...30 years.
I've always had trouble falling asleep, which doesn't help my cause. It's important for me to go to sleep before J does, since he snores. His snoring does not come in a regular, symmetrical pattern. He just lets out a loud snore periodically or in small groups. This to me is worse than if it was all the time.
I have a methodology that I follow when he starts his nightly solo:
- The Level 1 Sigh. I let a small audible sigh escape my mouth in the hopes that it will ever so gently wake him up enough to wake up.
- The Level 1 Touch. I barely, barely touch his arm in the hopes to annoy him enough to roll over to his side, where he doesn't snore as much.
- The More Forceful Sigh. I make a louder sigh, and no longer care about gentle waking.
- The Push. I start out with a small touch and then increase the pressure until he moves.
- The Bathroom Door. I get up loudly and go to the bathroom and allow the door to audibly close behind me.
- The Combo. This begins with "J, you're snoring" and ends in pushing and shoving.
- The Fakeout. If I am in a more pleasant mood than the combo requires for accurate implementation, I will say "What did you say?" out loud. Sometimes J will talk in his sleep, so it's pretty believable for me to wake him up with this question.
None of these things are making it better lately, since I have to get up frequently for the bathroom. Then I spend the next two hours trying to go back to sleep.