8.02.2008

Why I Can't Work at a HelpDesk

My parents came to visit today. My mom has been having trouble with "some stuff on her computer." My mom thinks that since I have a degree in computer science that I am an automatic candidate for desktop support issues. (Which, by the way, I'm in web world, so I don't keep up with desktop support. Sorry.)

Mom: I can't see the pictures Karen sent me.

Me: Did she send them in an email?

Mom: They are in the Kodak gallery.

At this point I'm confused. I don't know what Kodak gallery she is talking about. I don't know anything about Kodak galleries, and I don't know Karen.

Finally, an hour later, we establish that Karen sent her an email forward. This email had a link in it, and she needed to click on it.

VoilĂ ! The Kodak gallery.

I plan to hunt down this Karen and throw eggs at her house. She should never, ever send my mother forwards - especially ones with pictures of any kind.

So, I finally convinced my mom that there is nothing wrong with her computer, and that the problem is that she still has dial-up, and this is a horrific sin against the internet. Then, she proceeded to spend the next hour online so she could see all the stuff like that - the forwarded stuff with sound and graphics and power points.

When she goes back home, I'm sure she will forget everything we talked about, refuse to fork out the extra bucks for a faster connection and call me when she gets the next forward. In the meantime, I'll be stocking up on eggs and looking up all the addresses of her friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing, isn't it? My title was Software Quality Engineer. I wasn't even a computer science person -- but loved testing. Why does family (distant, not just immediate!) think such a title means "I understand all things about any computer." But, they do -- I swear, they do!!

I need to get by more often. Your blogs contain such humor -- along with reality bites (and sometimes it not only bites, it leaves scars) that brighten days.

Continue to write -- strangers will continue to enjoy.