7.02.2008

The Horse


Since I have been so somber the last couple of days, I thought it was time to change the mood a bit.

There's a story that my dad enjoys telling that cracks me up every time I hear it. To get the full picture, you should know that my dad is a quiet kind of guy.

"When I was a teenager, I used to enjoy riding horses. One summer, a friend and I decided to go on a horseback riding out west. When we arrived, I lowered myself into the saddle and grasped the reins. Once the horse began to move, I began to relax and feel the breeze as the horse trotted along at a fairly quick pace.

"Suddenly, the horse bucked, and I lost my balance. I began to slide off the saddle and I couldn't get the horse to stop. I couldn't hold on any longer and fell off, but my foot became tangled in the stirrup.

"As I lay on my back at the mercy of the horse, I saw my life flash before my eyes. I just knew this was the end. Then, miracle of miracles - the drugstore employee came out and pulled the plug on the merry-go-round!"

Cheesy, I know. But it really is hilarious. When he tells this, his poker face comes out, and you never see the end coming.

1 comment:

Alice said...

I'm so sorry about all the problems with Alzheimers and your grandparents. The stress must be so great. I'm glad you've kept a sense of humor with the merry-go-round story that I'm going to spring on my kids tonight.