7.09.2008

Target Love


When I tell people I moved to Ruralopia - a place they have never heard of - they ask me how I like living in the middle of no-where.

I try to keep my answer positive (really, I do). Most of the time I love it. But I will confess here: there are two things that are horrible about it.

1) Ruralopia has many more bugs - especially ticks - than any place I have ever been in my life.

2) I miss my Target.

I had completely forgotten what it was like to live in a world without Target. Until the late 1990s, I had never even heard of Target. What a dark, dark time - and I didn't even know it. I was completely satisfied with the only "supercenters" around being Wal-Mart. What can I say? I was misled.

After I moved to a city, there were Targets everywhere. And they were CLEAN! Stuff wasn't strewn all over the aisles. There were a whole line of checkout counters (instead of 3). There was no ABC gum on my buggy. No one chased me with smiley-face stickers. Design was important in everything from home decor to clothes.

6 months ago, I was living almost next-door to a Super Target. Oh, the joy.

Now, the nearest Target is 40 miles away. 40 MILES. I went from a near-daily trip to not being in a Target for 3 months. 3 MONTHS.

Back on July 4th, J asked if I would like to drive up to Carabba's for dinner. Knowing this was in the same shopping center as the Super Target - I jumped at the chance.

Walking in the doors felt like coming home. I almost cried.

An hour of time and $200 less, we walked out of the store completely & totally satisfied.

Oh Target, please come closer to my hometown!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

What you said about Target is so true. When I was little there was a Target by us, but it was so lame. Then in the 90's it became amazing. I automatically go to Target before Wal-Mart, even though the Wal-Mart by our house isn't bad.