5.06.2008

The Ear Incident

My allergies decided to leave me with an earache this week. I cannot share this little piece of information with J because he will remind me (again) of the infamous Ear Incident. After 9 years, he still loves to remind me about this as a prime example of my talent for getting myself into unpredictable situations.

After J took me home from dinner that night, I proceeded to get ready for bed. I reached down to the ground to pick up something off the floor. During my reaching, I propped my hand on my desk. As I moved my hand to push myself back up, I felt something pop up and solidly land in my ear canal.

I thought it was probably just a piece of fuzz, but I couldn't reach it.

I tried flushing my ear out, but to no avail. So I did the most reliable thing I could do. I paniced.

I called J, and he came back over. When he looked down my ear, he was completely speechless.

Finally in a soft voice, he said. "Umm...it's your earring back."

J tried unsuccessfully to remove it with tweezers. After several attempts, he suggested we go to the emergency room.

Until that point in my life, to my knowledge, I had never been to the emergency room. The very last thing I wanted to do was to go there for a ridiculus situation such as this. However, J finally convinced me that living with an earring back in my ear was probably not a great idea.

To make a really long story considerably shorter, the doctor and nurses got a kick out of my predicament.

Also, it is worthwhile to note that the ER actually has a tool designated for this situation. Apparently bugs make a fairly frequent habit of flying in people's ears, and I am not the first person in the world to have something stuck down in there. Or, they probably just told me that to make me feel better.

No comments: