5.08.2008

How I Met Dr. F

Today I am going to see an OB/GYN who specializes in infertility. I am a little nervous, but I have high hopes.

A few weeks ago at my nephew's party, I found myself backed into a corner by my brother-in-law's sister. She is a well-meaning, very friendly gossip addict, who loves to find out every detail going on in your life so that she can store it in her knowledge base for later use to help others. Hopefully as the story progresses, you will see what I mean by that. For this anticdote, we will call her GossipGirl.

GossipGirl cornered me with a speech that I normally receive from little old ladies. "When are you & J going to have kids?"

Did I mention that GossipGirl is expecting? And that it is child number five?

I had reached my patience limit for the day. By nature, I am pretty quiet unless I have something important to say around people I don't know very well. I always go out of my way to be nice. I save my snarkiness to those close to me. But at that point, I was too tired to deal with my standard generic response. So instead, I rudely explained that we had been trying for a looong time, and we were facing infertility issues. I laid out every little woe-is-me detail. My aim was to make her feel bad for even mentioning such an emotionally stressful issue.

But, it didn't work. She did give me a look of sympathy, but she certainly wasn't sorry she asked.

Instead, she said that when it took her 6 years to have her first. She thought she would never have any children. Then miraculously she found help, and the first one came. Then another a few years later. Then twins last year. And now, she is expecting again.

Shockingly, I was almost comforted.

She told me that she had heard of a doctor that worked wonders for several of her friends. She remembered the spelling of his name, and even remembered his phone number off the top of her head.

So after I got my new job, I called and made an appointment with Dr. F. He was pretty booked, and couldn't even see me for over a month. That appointment is today.

No comments: